Thursday, November 10, 2011

Lazy Lamb Sirloin Sous Vide

A few weeks back I spotted these pre-seasoned lamb sirloins and thought I'd give'm a try in my Sous Vide Supreme. A test run on being lazy by not seasoning and sealing my meat. (That sounds a bit dirty)
Since these were decent looking cuts of lamb seasoned and vacuum sealed I pick'em up to put them to the test. I knew the packaging could withstand the low temp of the lamb cooking temp, so I wasn't worried bout it losing its seal. I've seen other bloggers cooking pre-packaged beef cuts like this before, so I knew it would be ok to try.
I placed them in the water oven at 56 degrees C or about 133 degrees F and left them in there for about 4 hours. I am sure they would have been done in 2 but I had other chores to do that day, so using the laziness I mean convenience of sous vide cooking I left them standing in a perfectly cooked state till I was ready to eat them. One of the greatest joys of sous vide cookery is the ability to leave cooked food suspended in a state of readiness.
After cooking the juices had a slight milky grey color about them, but once I cut open the package there was a wonderful aroma of lamb-ie goodness, rich and meaty.
But after removing from the bag & blotting dry with paper towels you could see they retained their pink medium rare consistency all the way through. And I proceeded to heat some oil in a pan to give them a sear of two minutes per side, to get that Maillard reaction you just can't get from the bag.
Sizzle 2 minutes, flip and sizzle 2 more minutes. Then let rest a few minutes.
As you can see the lamb is a perfect medium rare all the way through and it was very tender. I strained the bag juices, and de-greased the searing pan, deglazing with a red wine before adding the strained juices and mounting with a little cold butter. Served with tarragon and dijon butter noodles, with green beans. My 91 year old father inlaw chowed down on it, and he loved the fact it was so damn tender. For me it needed a little pinch of grey salt to boost the seasoning, but it was tender and tasty. For convenience sake it was easy, taking a step out of the normal sous vide process, taste wise it was good not stellar. I wonder when sous vide cooking instructions will appear on the packaging of these type of products? It would be another way to sell it to the lazy consumer, who wants perfectly cooked meat.

No comments:

Post a Comment